When I was 8 years old, I watched my father eat a corned beef sandwich in less than 5 minutes.
No joke. He wasn’t overweight, but he was in a hurry to get back to his clothing store in downtown Birmingham. After all, someone had to mind the store, right?
I could not eat as fast as my Father, but I tried my hardest to keep up. I thought eating was a race, and I was determined to win. Well, from this experience, I learned one of the most valuable lessons about losing weight.
Weight loss tip 37 of 100: Eat like a turtle walks: Slowly! Very slowly! That’s right. Eat as slowly as you possibly can.
My father lived through the “Great Depression.” I did not. So food is now plentiful and very available.
It hasn’t been easy to change this very bad habit, but I have practiced and learned to slow my eating down. My goal is to be the last one to finish eating. I feel so proud when everyone is finished, and I still have food on my plate. It is psychologically liberating at this stage in life.
If you are a fast eater, overweight and want to lose weight, slow down your eating. If you simply eat a little slower, I guarantee that it will jump start your weight loss, and this is why:
…. During a meal, it takes about 20 minutes to start feeling satisfied. So, try to be only half way through your portion at 20 minutes. This will reduce the likelihood of overeating.
…. You will also enjoy food more by savoring every single bite.
I suggest you visualize a yellow flashing light before you eat. What does a yellow light mean? SLOW DOWN.
Below is one of the funniest clips in sitcom history from the TV series, ‘Taxi.’ Burned out character, Jim Ignatowski, is taking his driver’s license test to become a taxi cab driver in New York City. The one-minute video will reinforce your new habit of eating a little slower.
Here are the other steps so far:
- Cut your weight loss goal in half.
- Weigh yourself every day on a digital scale.
- Self-esteem is more important than cookies and cream.
- Eat slowly! Eat very slowly!
- Eat in the sitting position only.
- Record all of your food and exercise daily in a free app like MyFitnessPal.
- The net calorie rules period, end of story.
- NEVER, ever go on a diet again. Just allow yourself to lose weight.
- Observe, learn and practice eating like a naturally thin person..
- Always leave food on your plate.
- Take a 10-minute daily mental vacation.
- Say daily affirmations.
- Create Vivid Visualizations.
- Have a line in the sand weight you never go over.
- If your weight creeps up to your line in the sand weight, COMPENSATE IMMEDIATELY.
- It is okay to be mind full or mindful when you eat. Just eat your food slowly, and do not eat too much.
- You and only you are the CEO (Chief Eating Officer) of your own body.
- Always be proud and thankful for your miraculous body no matter what the size.
- Read Skinny and Debt Free blog posts every week and lose weight and debt permanently.
- You can do anything you make up your mind to do!
- You have an abundant, unlimited supply of willpower!
- Set small, incremental one-pound goals to accomplish.
- Reward yourself immediately for reaching each one-pound goal.
- Write your own personalized weight loss plan.
- Eating less is more important in weight loss, than exercising more.
- It takes hard work, commitment and a lot of time to become skinny and debt free for life!!
- Drink plenty of water every day, but don’t spend money on bottled water—unless you live in a place with unhealthy water.
- Avoid all liquids with calories that cost money. Instead, drink plenty of water.
- Eat the first meal of the day when you get hungry. Do not call it breakfast any more.
- The first meal of the day should be whole, healthy and nutritious food of any kind.
- Eat more energy-dense foods, like fruits and vegetables, to fill your stomach and help you lose weight.
- Be totally honest with yourself if you are serious about losing weight for life.
- Multiple failures are to be expected on your way to your goal weight. Never, ever give up!
- Avoid the uncomfortable feeling of fullness forever.
- Eat to live and no longer live to eat.
- Have a goal of losing 1 pound every 10 days.
- Eat like a turtle walks.
Lose weight and get out of debt. Sign up for our monthly newsletter (Opt out at any time).
Martin Sher, Co-Founder of AmSher Compassionate Collections® is on a mission to help 5 million people lose weight and be debt free.
Martin is past president of ACA International, and author of the Collector’s Pledge — hundreds of thousands of collectors all over the world have signed this unique document committing to treat people with dignity and respect.