Recently, the oldest person in the world passed away. Her name was Susannah Mushatt Jones. Mrs. Jones was 116 years old. She was the last person living from the 19th century. Before she passed away though, she shared her two secrets for longevity.
The first secret was to get a lot of sleep. Makes sense. We all could use a little more sleep.
Her second secret for longevity was off the charts. You will be shocked and possibly elated to learn what she shared.
Her second secret to longevity was to EAT BACON!! Mrs. Jones said she ate bacon every single day.
She lived about 43,000 days and ate the equivalent of a few dozen pigs in her long life. Now that’s a lot of bacon. She loved the taste, smell and the satisfaction she felt after eating bacon. And, she lived to 116 years of age. I’m certain she loved fruits and vegetables, grains, and other protein, as well. My guess is she had a well-balanced diet that was nutritious and delicious.
Miss Jones was not overweight. She was healthy, energetic and vital for a 116-year-old. I imagine she also had some pretty good genes. But, the lesson here might be if we all ate a variety of whole, healthy, nutritious foods and stayed in a reasonable weight range, we could enjoy bacon, sausage, or anything else in moderation.
Americans have consistently and continuously become fatter and fatter over the last few decades. Obviously the low-fat and low-carb diets have not helped because no one can stay on them. They are not sustainable. The obesity epidemic has not happened because of any particular food or foods!
Additionally, more than 90 percent of people that lose weight gain it back plus some within three years. People need to develop new, lifetime eating habits, and quit going on diets. They just do not work, period, end of story.
I say eat some fat, eat some bread and even have a piece of birthday cake every once in a while. But, if you want to lose weight forever, know how many calories your body needs, and just eat a little bit less.
Weight loss tip number 35 of 100: Eat to live and no longer live to eat.
Here’s to hoping you get fit and enjoy life to the ripe, old age of 116. To learn more about Mrs. Jones and her long life, click here.
Here are the other steps so far:
- Cut your weight loss goal in half.
- Weigh yourself every day on a digital scale.
- Self-esteem is more important than cookies and cream.
- Eat slowly! Eat very slowly!
- Eat in the sitting position only.
- Record all of your food and exercise daily in a free app like MyFitnessPal.
- The net calorie rules period, end of story.
- NEVER, ever go on a diet again. Just allow yourself to lose weight.
- Observe, learn and practice eating like a naturally thin person..
- Always leave food on your plate.
- Take a 10-minute daily mental vacation.
- Say daily affirmations.
- Create Vivid Visualizations.
- Have a line in the sand weight you never go over.
- If your weight creeps up to your line in the sand weight, COMPENSATE IMMEDIATELY.
- It is okay to be mind full or mindful when you eat. Just eat your food slowly, and do not eat too much.
- You and only you are the CEO (Chief Eating Officer) of your own body.
- Always be proud and thankful for your miraculous body no matter what the size.
- Read Skinny and Debt Free blog posts every week and lose weight and debt permanently.
- You can do anything you make up your mind to do!
- You have an abundant, unlimited supply of willpower!
- Set small, incremental one-pound goals to accomplish.
- Reward yourself immediately for reaching each one-pound goal.
- Write your own personalized weight loss plan.
- Eating less is more important in weight loss, than exercising more.
- It takes hard work, commitment and a lot of time to become skinny and debt free for life!!
- Drink plenty of water every day, but don’t spend money on bottled water—unless you live in a place with unhealthy water.
- Avoid all liquids with calories that cost money. Instead, drink plenty of water.
- Eat the first meal of the day when you get hungry. Do not call it breakfast any more.
- The first meal of the day should be whole, healthy and nutritious food of any kind.
- Eat more energy-dense foods, like fruits and vegetables, to fill your stomach and help you lose weight.
- Be totally honest with yourself if you are serious about losing weight for life.
- Multiple failures are to be expected on your way to your goal weight. Never, ever give up!
- Avoid the uncomfortable feeling of fullness forever.
- Eat to live and no longer live to eat.
Lose weight and get out of debt. Sign up for our monthly newsletter (Opt out at any time).
Martin Sher, Co-Founder of AmSher Compassionate Collections® is on a mission to help 5 million people lose weight and be debt free.
Martin is past president of ACA International, and author of the Collector’s Pledge — hundreds of thousands of collectors all over the world have signed this unique document committing to treat people with dignity and respect.