Miss Piggy is the author of one of the most famous diet quotes of all time: “Never eat anything bigger than your head.” No wonder she can’t lose weight. The opposite is actually true. I would like to share with you how you can eat significantly more food and lose more weight by practicing one simple concept.
Start eating more foods that are energy dense.
Energy density is the number of calories in a given volume of food. Almost all fruits and vegetables are energy dense.
Here are a few examples to help you understand the significance of this concept:
¼ cup of raisins has 100 calories.
1 cup of grapes has 100 calories.
You get 4 times more volume of food to fill your stomach by choosing the 100 calories of grapes rather than 100 calories of raisins. It is the same food.
Instead of ordering a small order of French fries containing about 250 calories, order a huge salad larger than Mrs. Piggy’s head. A huge salad containing 12 cups of spinach, walnuts and more than a cup of strawberries topped with a low-calorie, vinegar-based dressing is about the same number of calories as the small French fry.
All you have to do is gradually substitute energy-dense foods for calorie-dense foods. I suggest making this change very slowly over time so it can be a new healthy habit you adopt for life.
Here are a couple of facts that might help you understand the importance of eating a larger volume of energy dense foods:
- Everyone’s stomachs are about the same size. Obese people’s stomachs are not bigger than thin people’s stomachs. And since all stomachs are about the same size, they fill up at the same rate.
- Most people have consistent diets and eat roughly the same volume of food every day. Therefore, a few daily strategic substitutions can significantly reduce calories and allow you to eat a larger volume of food.
Weight loss tip 31 of 100: Eat more energy-dense foods, like fruits and vegetables, to fill your stomach and help you lose weight.
Here are the other steps so far:
- Cut your weight loss goal in half.
- Weigh yourself every day on a digital scale.
- Self-esteem is more important than cookies and cream.
- Eat slowly! Eat very slowly!
- Eat in the sitting position only.
- Record all of your food and exercise daily in a free app like MyFitnessPal.
- The net calorie rules period, end of story.
- NEVER, ever go on a diet again. Just allow yourself to lose weight.
- Observe, learn and practice eating like a naturally thin person..
- Always leave food on your plate.
- Take a 10-minute daily mental vacation.
- Say daily affirmations.
- Create Vivid Visualizations.
- Have a line in the sand weight you never go over.
- If your weight creeps up to your line in the sand weight, COMPENSATE IMMEDIATELY.
- It is okay to be mind full or mindful when you eat. Just eat your food slowly, and do not eat too much.
- You and only you are the CEO (Chief Eating Officer) of your own body.
- Always be proud and thankful for your miraculous body no matter what the size.
- Read Skinny and Debt Free blog posts every week and lose weight and debt permanently.
- You can do anything you make up your mind to do!
- You have an abundant, unlimited supply of willpower!
- Set small, incremental one-pound goals to accomplish.
- Reward yourself immediately for reaching each one-pound goal.
- Write your own personalized weight loss plan.
- Eating less is more important in weight loss, than exercising more.
- It takes hard work, commitment and a lot of time to become skinny and debt free for life!!
- Drink plenty of water every day, but don’t spend money on bottled water—unless you live in a place with unhealthy water.
- Avoid all liquids with calories that cost money. Instead, drink plenty of water.
- Eat the first meal of the day when you get hungry. Do not call it breakfast any more.
- The first meal of the day should be whole, healthy and nutritious food of any kind.
- Eat more energy-dense foods, like fruits and vegetables, to fill your stomach and help you lose weight.
Lose weight and get out of debt. Sign up for our monthly newsletter (Opt out at any time).
Martin Sher, Co-Founder of AmSher Compassionate Collections® is on a mission to help 5 million people lose weight and be debt free.
Martin is past president of ACA International, and author of the Collector’s Pledge — hundreds of thousands of collectors all over the world have signed this unique document committing to treat people with dignity and respect.