The answer to losing weight is all in our heads. We have to make changes and shake things up. We need to do the hokey pokey. So, let’s put our head in and take our head out. Put our head back in and shake it all about. Do the hokey pokey and turn ourselves around. That’s what it’s all about.
Here are 5 things we can do to turn ourselves around:
- Think yourself thin.It’s free, and you can start today. Do a self-lobotomy, and take your overweight brain out and put your newly wired thin brain in. Start behaving and thinking like a thin person. Enjoy your food, just eat a little less.
- Be self-compassionate. Love yourself every day. Give yourself a big hug for breakfast, and a pat on the back for lunch. You obviously have made a commitment to losing weight and getting healthy. Congratulations! The kinder you are to yourself, the better chance you have of being successful over time.
- Develop a plan for life and quit dieting. Ninety-five percent of the people that diet gain their weight back. The small percentage of people that are successful, do the following things: eat breakfast, weigh themselves, watch less tv and exercise for at least an hour a day. Go to the National Weight Control Registry to learn more about successful people that have lost weight and kept it off for at least 5 years.
- It’s okay to fail on your lifetime weight loss plan multiple times. If you weigh every day, you only need to lose weight 60% of the days to be successful. That means that 40% of the days you’ll be gaining weight. No one has ever reached their ideal weight goal by losing weight every day. Keep yourself positive and determined no matter what. On the days you feel a little discouraged go back to #2 on this post, being self-compassionate.
- Make small incremental changes in your life. Losing weight is not a sprint. It’s an ultramarathon. I would suggest making one very small change every week and incorporating it into your life. At the end of one year, you’ll have made 52 little changes.
With these 5 simple steps, you can literally do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around. Because in the weight loss journey, that really is what it’s all about.
Lose weight and get out of debt. Sign up for our monthly newsletter (Opt out at any time).
Martin Sher, Co-CEO of AmSher Compassionate Collections® is on a mission to help 5 million people lose weight and be debt free.
Martin is past president of ACA International, and author of the Collector’s Pledge — hundreds of thousands of collectors all over the world have signed this unique document committing to treat people with dignity and respect.