Have you ever noticed how much loose change is lying around in parking lots? There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t see at least one penny lying around. One day, I actually saw a $20.00 bill. I always pick up any change I see that’s unclaimed and available. Do you? If not then I suggest you start today if you want to be skinny and debt free.
Here are 5 reasons you should pick up loose change:
- You’re going to need to save every penny you can find to pay off debt.
- You burn calories bending over to pick up the penny.
- It’s free money.
- It reinforces your determination to be skinny and debt free.
- It’ll give you momentum to get that most important, first stressful debt paid off.
Let me demonstrate the importance of saving every possible penny with the following 2 offers:
- I’ll give you $1,000,000 to pay off your debts and to fund your retirement.
- If you give me that penny on the ground, I’ll double that amount every day for 30 days and give you the total proceeds at day 30.
Which one would you choose?
Offer one is getting a million dollars. Not bad. But, let’s demonstrate offer number 2, day by day, so you can get a sense of the magic of compounding.
Day 1…..1 cent
Day 2…..2 cents
Day 3…..4 cents
Day 4….8 cents
Day 5…16 cents
Day 6….32 cents
Day 7….64 cents
We’re 1/3 of the way through the 30 day offer, and there’s just $5.12 by doubling that penny every day. Shall we continue…
Now we’re 2/3 of the way through the month doubling that penny every day. Would you still rather have the million dollars? Let’s continue…
Day 30 after doubling that penny every day for 30 days…drum roll… ends with a total of $5,368,709.
True, this example demonstrates compounding at 100%, which you probably won’t be able to accomplish. However, if you’re an adult in the 18-35 age range, you can be a millionaire when you reach retirement age, by living within your means, paying off your debt, saving a few pennies or dollars, and investing them wisely.
Let’s just say, I’m giving you the skinny on being debt free and financially secure.
Martin Sher, Co-CEO of AmSher Collection Agency and a past president of ACA International, is the author of the Collector’s Pledge. Hundreds of thousands of collectors all over the world have signed this unique document committing to treat people with dignity and respect. AmSher is known as the collection agency that collects with compassion.