There was an academy award winning movie in the early 70’s called “Butterflies are Free.” Finally, the sequel is out called “Butterflies are Debt-Free.” What we’ve learned over the years is that there is no such thing as a fat butterfly in debt. All butterflies are skinny and debt free.
Here are 5 lessons that could be learned from these graceful insects:
- Butterflies don’t have mouths. Whatever a butterfly eats, they eat through their feet. Humans have mouths. To be skinny and debt free, we have to be totally in charge of what we put in our mouth, right? The net calories rule, period; end of story.
- Butterflies don’t walk. I guess, because they eat through their feet. Most of us are blessed with two good feet. We can walk and walk and walk. It is free, and it burns calories. To be skinny and debt free you must eat a little less, and exercise a little more. There is no way around it.
- Butterflies don’t smoke. It’s impossible. We already established the fact that they do not have mouths. Smokers spend a few thousand dollars a year on cigarettes, additional healthcare costs, dry cleaning, etc. It’s very expensive to smoke. You can be debt-free in a relatively short period of time if you immulate butterflies, and quit smoking.
- Butterflies could be very inexpensive pets. There would be no food costs, plus they don’t live very long. Other inexpensive pets would be turtles, goldfish, hamsters, canaries, and even chickens. (Chickens can even supply you free eggs.) The absolute cheapest pet is a pet rock. People who are trying their hardest to get out of debt, should think twice before adding more expensive pets such as dogs. The ASPCA believes that most abandoned dogs are from people who can no longer afford the thousands of dollars it costs to care for one.
- You can eat butterflies. Butterflies are considered a culinary delicacy in many parts of the world. They are eaten and enjoyed. I assume they are low-fat, low-carb, and low calorie. A great food choice, but I do not recommend. They might cause “butterflies in your stomach”.
So what have we learned about being skinny and debt free from the butterfly? Eat a little less, walk a little more, quit smoking, eat whole foods, and don’t add too many mouths to feed.
Martin Sher, Co-CEO of AmSher Collection Agency and a past president of ACA International, is the author of the Collector’s Pledge. Hundreds of thousands of collectors all over the world have signed this unique document committing to treat people with dignity and respect. AmSher is known as the collection agency that collects with compassion