In mid-2014 it hit me like a ton of bricks. A significant percentage of Americans that are in debt are also overweight. By my estimation, about 2/3 of Americans are either overweight, have burdensome debt, or both. Mindboggling, isn’t it? The good news is the solution to being overweight and in debt can be tackled at the same time. For anyone to be skinny and debt free it would require a strong desire, commitment, patience, specific strategies, and most important of all, compassion. Compassion for yourself and compassion for others. The solution is not a quick fix, but a journey; and will require a new mindset, and as I like to call it, debt … termination (a lot of determination).
As 2014 winds down and we start preparing for the New Year, I thought it might be helpful to recap some of what we have learned about being skinny and debt free:
1. We can eat our way out of debt. Changing what we eat, how we eat, where we eat, when we eat, and why we eat can free up enough dollars to significantly reduce or eliminate debt.
2. Cut your weight loss and debt goals in half. Set accomplish-able goals.
3. The skinny and debt free compassion plan is not a diet, it is a new way of living.
4. The Net Calories Rule, period, end of story There is no way around it, we have to eat just a little less and exercise just a little more.
5. We must keep score and track progress with a scale. Our real weight is our 7 day average weight, not what we see every morning. We will also have charts and trends to help keep the daily weight anxiety down.
6. We must do a compassionate act for ourselves and others every day. We must love ourselves to love others and to be successful. Feeling good about ourselves is necessary for success.
7. If you are failing only 40% of the days, then you are succeeding 60% of the days. The skinny and debt free compassion plan celebrates the many failures and slip ups you might have with a creative chart and immediate compensation plan.
8. All you need is a notebook so we can journal and track our progress. We will need to write what we eat down, or use an app like myfitnesspal.
9. We will cover the 18 principles of the skinny and debt free compassion plan diligently in 2015: Select, Sit, Slow, Savor, Satiety 66, Sweet Taste, Stop, switch, step, success mindset, serenity, simplify, stress management, self-compassion, score keeping , save, sexy debt elimination, and security.
10. It is important to be creative and have fun. Laughing burns calories, so don’t take yourself too seriously.
Looking forward to 2015 and being a little skinnier, with a little less debt. Stay tuned!
Martin Sher, Co-CEO of AmSher Collection Agency and a past president of ACA International, is the author of the Collector’s Pledge. Hundreds of thousands of collectors all over the world have signed this unique document committing to treat people with dignity and respect. AmSher is known as the collection agency that collects with compassion